- 1 About the Maps – Please Read
- 2 Programs to Display the Openmtbmap
- 4 Problems – Help – Tutorials
- 5 Maps
- 6 Change Layout and Contrast of the maps
- 8 Openmtbmap maps Premium Download in Mac OSx format (gmap)
- 9 Feedback
About the Maps – Please Read
Maps are available Worldwide. They are usually updated every Friday.
- Map Data (except data for contourlines)
All maptiles are compiled with mkgmap using map data from openstreetmap.org & Contributors. OpenStreetMap data can be used freely under the terms of the http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ You can use and edit the map data by visiting openstreetmap.org. All map data is published CCBYSA 2.0 by openstreetmap.org and Constributors. Thanks to Geofabrik for providing the map data snapshots which I use to create the maps.
– For all other Copyrights please see the Installer or if you unextract the installer see the file copyright.txt.
Programs to Display the Openmtbmap
Bsides being shown on (nearly) all Garmin GPS devices – most People will use Garmin Basecamp (v3 or later) or Garmin Mapsource to show the maps on their Desktop and plan tours/trips.
For anyone on the good side of earth Openmtbmap.org maps are also correctly shown in Qlandkarte_GT – QLandkarte_GT is compatible with all big OS (Linux, MacOSx and well Windows too). Linux users can alternatively install Mapsource 6.13.6 in WINE. The .exe files can be unpacked with 7zip.
For Linux/Unix users there is also a script to unpack the maps, and automatically create a gmapsupp: https://github.com/btittelbach/openmtbmap_openvelomap_linux
Mapsource – I wouldn't use any version but 6.16.3. Mapsource versions 6.14 to 6.15.6 are complete junk, if you use it, please update. Also note that Mapsource versions prior to 6.16.1 do not show all ways and pathes so they are not really usable. Mac OSx users please use Qlandkarte GT or convert maps and use Basecamp 3 or Roadtrip. Note there are readily converted maps available for most countries at the end of this page.
Problems – Help – Tutorials
Beginners Guide can be found here: get started with openmtbmaps
Install Mapsource: tutorials/install-mapsource/
Install the Openmtbmap in Mapsource: tutorials/install/ explains the options of the installer.
Send Maps to GPS with Mapsource/Basecmap: tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mapsource/ I recommend to allways send maps to an external data card and not internal memory. (this way if something goes wrong, or maps would be damaged you run less danger of wrecking your GPS).
Alternative: Use create_gmapsupp.img.bat and place the newly created gmapsupp.img into /garmin folder on your GPS. Address search cannot be included this way. If you use create_gmapsupp.img_with_mkgmap address search will be enabled, but you need depending on the size of the map quite a lot of free RAM.
Send maps to GPS with mkgmap (for Unix users): tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mkgmap/
Please also read the FAQ
Map Downloads by GWDG
The address search is not working consistently. Most problems are due to inconsistent data structures in OSM address data.
- General: Autorouting over longer distances on GPS works only with Via Points. Solve with WinGDB: plan-routes-efficiently
- Autorouting needs attributes like tracktype, bicycle routes, mtb:scale, sac_scale, mtb routes and others to work well. So keep care to enter those details into OSM. (not all are needed, but enough for me to guesstimate wheter a street is cyclefriendly/mtbriendly or not).
- Non Connected ways and overlapping ways without node, this is the main problem and a problem of the underlaying map data – please check here: http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php Only check/enable: "almost Junctions" , "intersections without junctions" as well as "overlapping ways". This helps you to quickly spot the erros. You can then follow the link to Potlatch (or also JOSM is integrated for JOSM users) and quickly correct mistakes! Watch out not to connect ways that are not connected in reality (i.e. a way crosses another on a brigde, here no connecting node is the right solution). – If you use Windows 2000 you may need to install the "reg" command : Reg cmd at Microsoft. Batches are incompatible to earlier Windows versions. – Note sometimes sea is missing. This is not an issue, but currently not differently possible. It is usually a problem in OSM data.
Notice on Updating Maps
If you want to be notified by email on map updates please go to the frontpage and enter your email address in the subscribe field of the left sidebar. You only get an e-mail when there are changes besides a simple map data update. Map updates are usually every Thursday night / Friday morning. You can look at the server to see the date of map upload. To update the maps, simply run a newer .exe Download.
Overlapping maps in border regions
While you can join maps of different countries, routing over the boundary is a bit shaky, and you will have one map overlaying the other with white background. As long as mkgmap cannot create randomly shaped overview maps (currently only rectangles), this problem is not solvable. There is however the possibility to download a Europe map, which will be updated every 4-6 weeks. Get Europe Map here (donation needed): http://openmtbmap.org/support/europe-map/
Velomap and Openmtbmap of the same Country — Problems
If you install an openmtbmap and a VeloMap of the same country with both times integrated contourlines, you should only send the contourlines once (meaning with either Openmtmbap or Velomap of the country).. Else you GPS might not show the maps, or worse not even start until maps are deleted. There are several possibilities.
a) Install both maps without contourlines and contourlines separately (install separate contourlines only map option in installer). You have not trouble.
b) Use the create_gmapsupp… .bat batchfiles and for one map select no contourlines.
c) be careful here: Select the map as usual in Basecamp/Mapsource or Qlandkarte GT, then go to the list of the selected tiles ready to be sent to the GPS, scroll down to the bottom, and unselect the contourlines only tiles from the list.
last map update: please look at recent posts for changes – usually maps are updated at least every 7 days with updates on Thursday/Friday You can unpack the .exe with 7-zip , ( Linux users use p7zip-full –> see here for more details), MacOSx Users can use "Unarchiver" (requires v3.0 or newer) . Linux users also see here: https://github.com/btittelbach/openmtbmap_openvelomap_linux
- openmtbmap – Legend for Mapsource/Qlandkarte_GT Installation
- For the map legend in OSM format and the style-files, please look at the SVN (see FAQ)
Continents map downloads:
- Openmtbmap – Africa
- Openmtbmap – Asia
- Openmtbmap – Australia-Oceania
- Openmtbmap – South-America
- Openmtbmap – Central-America
Africa map downloads:
- Openmtbmap – Canary Islands
- Openmtbmap – South Africa and Lesotho
- Openmtbmap – Madagascar
- Openmtbmap – Morocco
- Openmtbmap – Libya
- Openmtbmap – Somalia
- Openmtbmap – Tanzania
North America map downloads:
Australia-Oceania map downloads:
Europe map downloads:
- openmtbmap – Albania
- openmtbmap – Andorra
- openmtbmap – Austria
- openmtbmap – Azores
- openmtbmap – Belarus
- openmtbmap – Belgium
- openmtbmap – Bosnia-Herzegovina
- openmtbmap – Bulgaria
- openmtbmap – Croatia
- openmtbmap – Cyprus
- openmtbmap – Czech Republic
- openmtbmap – Denmark
- openmtbmap – Estonia
- openmtbmap – Faroe Islands
- openmtbmap – Finland
- openmtbmap – France
- openmtbmap – Germany -> see also 'Bundeslaender' below
- openmtbmap – Great Britain for Northern Ireland please go to Ireland
- openmtbmap – Greece
- openmtbmap – Hungary
- openmtbmap – Iceland
- openmtbmap – Ireland and Northern Ireland
- openmtbmap – Isle of Man
- openmtbmap – Israel and Palestine
- openmtbmap – Italy
- openmtbmap – Kosovo
- openmtbmap – Latvia
- openmtbmap – Liechtenstein
- openmtbmap – Lithuania
- openmtbmap – Luxembourg
- openmtbmap – Macedonia
- openmtbmap – Malta
- openmtbmap – Moldova
- openmtbmap – Monaco
- openmtbmap – Montenegro
- openmtbmap – Netherlands
- openmtbmap – Norway
- openmtbmap – Poland
- openmtbmap – Portugal
- openmtbmap – Romania
- openmtbmap – Russia European Part
- openmtbmap – Serbia
- openmtbmap – Slovakia
- openmtbmap – Slovenia
- openmtbmap – Spain for Canary Islands – see Africa Map Downloads
- openmtbmap – Sweden
- openmtbmap – Switzerland
- openmtbmap – Turkey
- openmtbmap – Ukraine
German Bundeslaender map downloads:
- openmtbmap – baden-wuerttemberg
- openmtbmap – bayern
- openmtbmap – berlin
- openmtbmap – brandenburg
- openmtbmap – bremen
- openmtbmap – hamburg
- openmtbmap – hessen
- openmtbmap – mecklenburg-vorpommern
- openmtbmap – niedersachsen
- openmtbmap – nordrhein-westfalen
- openmtbmap – rheinland-pfalz
- openmtbmap – saarland
- openmtbmap – sachsen-anhalt
- openmtbmap – sachsen
- openmtbmap – schleswig-holstein
- openmtbmap – mtbthueringen
Asia Map Downloads
Contourlines Premium Downloads
Most countries, especially the popular ones, have the contourlines already integrated. However for several countries the contourlines are rather large (rule of thumb if contourlines have more data than the maps) and I integrate them, but you need to download them separately (once). These contourline maps are available for donators exclusively to Openmtbmap/Velomap. To use them simply activate one of the contourlines options inside the installer, and then copy in // unextract the contourline files into the installation folder (usually "c:/garmin/openmtbmap/country" ). Downloads are clickable if logged in. To unextract I recommend to use 7-zip.
- Malaysia Singapore Brunei
Change Layout and Contrast of the maps
On installation you can choose the layout of the maps. Traditional layout is for Qlandkarte GT, Mapsource and Basecamp and offers a good layout and design for big screens. On the GPS thin, classic and wide or easy or hiking offer high contrast for best orientation while riding your bike or hiking.
In order to change the layout – simply run openmtbmap_country_change_layout.exe (this is also linked in your Start –> Programs Folder for each map). This also enables you to quickly change the layout before sending maps to your GPS device, and then quickly change it back for better planning on your desktop.
You can adapt the .TYP-files, which are responsible for the layout – and therefore the map colours, to your liking by using http://www.maptk.dnsalias.com/. Do not use http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi because it is not fully compatible and may corrupt the .TYP-file.
Openmtbmap maps Premium Download in Mac OSx format (gmap)
Upon several requests, I have decided to make available the most popular openmtbmaps also available for download in Mac OSx gmap format for Basecamp. This saves you the hassle of converting them. All countries will however only be available for download for openmtbmap members. Austria is available as a download to everyone (soon), so you can try it out.
As the format is quite different, it was not easy to convert them while keeping the full functionality of being able to choose different layouts, as well as excluding the contourlines.
2. Download the map of your choice
3. Unarchive it. I recommend Unarchiver (requires v3.0 or newer) for this task. Mac inbuilt unzipper cannot do it.
4. Double-Click on the unzipped gmap folder or move the unarchived folder to: /Users/PUTYOURUSERNAMEHERE/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/ (in this case I think you don't even need to install Garmin MapInstall and MapManager for Mac.).
5. Before you send the maps to your GPS – read the "Change Layout" instructions below the downloads – to change the layout of the maps to the one most suitable for your GPS/ your usage.
Openmtbmap Mac OSx Downloads:
- Austria (free sample country download)
- Canary Islands
German Bundeslaender Mac OSx Downloads:
Velomap Mac OSx Downloads:
- Canary Islands
German Bundeslaender Velomap (gmap) Mac OSx Format
Change Map Layout:
All maps have a folder called "Layout Files". In it you find all different layouts. To change the layout, simply go to /Users/PUTYOURUSERNAMEHERE/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/mtbgermany.gmap/Layout_Files (i.e. for Germany), copy the typfile.typ, and paste it into the main installation folder of the map (i.e. /Users/PUTYOURUSERNAMEHERE/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/mtbgermany.gmap/ ) . (don't cut/paste it, else it becomes difficult to change back/forward between map layouts).
By default the contourlines are enabled in the maps, and will be visible. If you prefer the maps without contourlines, you have 2 possibilities. Either just deselect the option to show contourlines in the options menu of Basecamp. Or go to the "Layout Files" folder, and select info.xml from the "Remove_Contourlines" folder. If you use the modified info.xml, contourlines will also not be sent to your GPS. To reenable the contourlines, go to "Integrate_Contourlnes" folder and copy/paste the info.xml you find in it.
Please comment if you like theese maps or even better tell other people about them (forums, blog about it, twitter, etc…) In case maps break Mapsource or don't work – please write exactly which downloads don't work and the time of download as well as your OS and Mapsource version.. Please note, I will delete your comment without notice if it is explained here http://openmtbmap.org/download/#problems-help-tutorials or in the FAQ