- 1 About the Maps – Please Read
- 2 Programs to Display the Openmtbmap
- 3 Problems – Help – Tutorials
- 4 Maps
- 4.0.1 Map Legend
- 4.0.2 Continents map downloads - (contourlines separate download):
- 4.0.3 Africa map downloads – (contourlines separate download except Canary Islands, Sierra-Leone):
- 4.0.4 Asia Map Downloads – (contourlines separate download except Bangladesh, Jordan, Lebanon, Sri-Lanka, Syria):
- 4.0.5 Australia-Oceania Premium map downloads:
- 4.0.6 North America Premium Map Downloads:
- 4.0.7 South America Premium map downloads – (contourlines separate download except Uruguay):
- 4.0.8 Europe map downloads:
- 4.0.9 German Bundeslaender map downloads:
- 4.1 Contourlines Premium Downloads (v.2 october 2012)
- 5 Change Layout and Contrast of the maps
- 6 Openmtbmap maps Premium Download in Mac OSx format (gmap)
- 7 Feedback
About the Maps – Please Read
Maps are available Worldwide. They are usually updated every Friday.
- Map Data
Thanks to http://viewfinderpanoramas.org for the best DEM (contourlines) available on the net.
– For Copyrights please see the Installer or if you unextract the installer see the file copyright.txt.
Programs to Display the Openmtbmap
Bsides being shown on (nearly) all Garmin GPS devices – most People will use Garmin Basecamp (v3 or later) or Garmin Mapsource to show the maps on their Desktop and plan tours/trips.
For anyone on the good side of earth AKA Linux – Openmtbmap.org maps are also correctly shown in Qlandkarte_GT – QLandkarte_GT is compatible with all big OS (Linux, MacOSx and well Windows too). Linux users can alternatively install Mapsource 6.13.6 in WINE. The .exe files can be unpacked with 7zip. After unpacking you find instructions for Qlandkarte / Linux use in a .txt file (informations… .txt).
For Linux/Unix users there is also a script to unpack the maps, and automatically create a gmapsupp: https://github.com/btittelbach/openmtbmap_openvelomap_linux
Mapsource – I wouldn't use any version but 6.16.3. Mapsource versions 6.14 to 6.15.6 are complete junk, if you use it, please update. Also note that Mapsource versions prior to 6.16.1 do not show all ways and pathes so they are not really usable. Mac OSx users please use Qlandkarte GT or convert maps and use Basecamp 3 or Roadtrip. Note there are readily converted maps available for most countries at the end of this page.
Problems – Help – Tutorials
Beginners Guide can be found here: get started with openmtbmaps
Install Mapsource: tutorials/install-mapsource/
Install the Openmtbmap in Mapsource: tutorials/install/ explains the options of the installer.
Send Maps to GPS with Mapsource/Basecmap: tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mapsource/ I recommend to allways send maps to an external data card and not internal memory. (this way if something goes wrong, or maps would be damaged you run less danger of wrecking your GPS).
Alternative: Use create_gmapsupp.img.bat and place the newly created gmapsupp.img into /garmin folder on your GPS. Address search cannot be included this way. If you use create_gmapsupp.img_with_mkgmap address search will be enabled, but you need depending on the size of the map quite a lot of free RAM.
Send maps to GPS with mkgmap (for Unix users): tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mkgmap/
Please also read the FAQ
Map Downloads by GWDG
The address search is not working consistently. Most problems are due to inconsistent data structures in OSM address data.
- General: Autorouting over longer distances on GPS works only with Via Points. Solve with WinGDB: plan-routes-efficiently
- Autorouting needs attributes like tracktype, bicycle routes, mtb:scale, sac_scale, mtb routes and others to work well. So keep care to enter those details into OSM. (not all are needed, but enough for me to guesstimate wheter a street is cyclefriendly/mtbriendly or not).
- Non Connected ways and overlapping ways without node, this is the main problem and a problem of the underlaying map data – please check here: http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php Only check/enable: "almost Junctions" , "intersections without junctions" as well as "overlapping ways". This helps you to quickly spot the erros. You can then follow the link to Potlatch (or also JOSM is integrated for JOSM users) and quickly correct mistakes! Watch out not to connect ways that are not connected in reality (i.e. a way crosses another on a brigde, here no connecting node is the right solution). – If you use Windows 2000 you may need to install the "reg" command : Reg cmd at Microsoft. Batches are incompatible to earlier Windows versions. – Note sometimes sea is missing. This is not an issue, but currently not differently possible. It is usually a problem in OSM data.
Notice on Updating Maps
If you want to be notified by email on map updates please go to the frontpage and enter your email address in the subscribe field of the left sidebar. You only get an e-mail when there are changes besides a simple map data update. Map updates are usually every Thursday night / Friday morning. You can look at the server to see the date of map upload. To update the maps, simply run a newer .exe Download.
Overlapping maps in border regions
While you can join maps of different countries, routing over the boundary is a bit shaky, and you will have one map overlaying the other with white background. As long as mkgmap cannot create randomly shaped overview maps (currently only rectangles), this problem is not solvable. There is however the possibility to download a Europe map, which will be updated every 4-6 weeks. Get Europe Map here (donation needed): http://openmtbmap.org/support/europe-map/
Velomap and Openmtbmap of the same Country — Problems
If you install an openmtbmap and a VeloMap of the same country with contourlines as separate download (and Spain as well as Canary Islands), you should only send the contourlines once (meaning with either Openmtmbap or Velomap of the country). Else you GPS might not show the maps, or worse not even start until maps are deleted. There are several possibilities.
a) Install both maps without contourlines and contourlines separately (install separate contourlines only map option in installer). You have not trouble.
b) be careful here: Select the map as usual in Basecamp/Mapinstall, then go to the list of the selected tiles ready to be sent to the GPS, scroll down to the bottom, and unselect the contourlines only tiles from the list.
– This is not a problem with countries where contourlines are fully integrated like Germany, Alps, Austria,……
Premium maps are only downloadable for people who have a openmtbmap membership. For last map update: please look at recent posts for changes – usually maps are updated at least every 7 days with updates on Thursday/Friday You can unpack the .exe with 7-zip , ( Linux users use p7zip-full –> see here for more details), MacOSx Users can use "Unarchiver" (requires v3.0 or newer) . Linux users also see here: https://github.com/btittelbach/openmtbmap_openvelomap_linux. After unpacking you find instructions for Qlandkarte / Linux use in a .txt file (informations… .txt).
- openmtbmap – Legend for Mapsource/Qlandkarte_GT Installation
- For the map legend in OSM format and the style-files, please look at the SVN (see FAQ)
Continents map downloads - (contourlines separate download):
- Openmtbmap – Africa
- Openmtbmap – Antarctica
- Openmtbmap – Asia
- Openmtbmap – Australia-Oceania
- Openmtbmap – South-America
- Openmtbmap – Central-America
Africa map downloads – (contourlines separate download except Canary Islands, Sierra-Leone):
- Openmtbmap – Burkina-Faso
- Openmtbmap – Cameroon
- Openmtbmap – Canary Islands
- Openmtbmap – Congo Democratic Republic
- Openmtbmap – Egypt
- Openmtbmap – Ethiopia
- Openmtbmap – Guinea
- Openmtbmap – Guinea-Bissau
- Openmtbmap – Ivory-Coast
- Openmtbmap – Libya
- Openmtbmap – Liberia
- Openmtbmap – Madagascar
- Openmtbmap – Morocco
- Openmtbmap – Nigeria
- Openmtbmap – Sierra Leone
- Openmtbmap – Somalia
- Openmtbmap – South Africa and Lesotho
- Openmtbmap – Tanzania
Asia Map Downloads – (contourlines separate download except Bangladesh, Jordan, Lebanon, Sri-Lanka, Syria):
Australia-Oceania Premium map downloads:
North America Premium Map Downloads:
South America Premium map downloads – (contourlines separate download except Uruguay):
Europe map downloads:
- openmtbmap – Albania
- openmtbmap – Andorra
- openmtbmap – Austria
- openmtbmap – Azores
- openmtbmap – Belarus
- openmtbmap – Belgium
- openmtbmap – Bosnia-Herzegovina
- openmtbmap – Bulgaria
- openmtbmap – Croatia
- openmtbmap – Cyprus
- openmtbmap – Czech Republic
- openmtbmap – Denmark
- openmtbmap – Estonia
- openmtbmap – Faroe Islands
- openmtbmap – Finland
- openmtbmap – France
- openmtbmap – Germany -> see also 'Bundeslaender' below
- openmtbmap – Great Britain for Northern Ireland please go to Ireland
- openmtbmap – Greece
- Greenland – please sea North America
- openmtbmap – Hungary
- openmtbmap – Iceland
- openmtbmap – Ireland and Northern Ireland
- openmtbmap – Isle of Man
- openmtbmap – Israel and Palestine
- openmtbmap – Italy
- openmtbmap – Kosovo
- openmtbmap – Latvia
- openmtbmap – Liechtenstein
- openmtbmap – Lithuania
- openmtbmap – Luxembourg
- openmtbmap – Macedonia
- openmtbmap – Malta
- openmtbmap – Moldova
- openmtbmap – Monaco
- openmtbmap – Montenegro
- openmtbmap – Netherlands
- openmtbmap – Norway
- openmtbmap – Poland
- openmtbmap – Portugal
- openmtbmap – Romania
- openmtbmap – Russia European Part - (contourlines separate download)
- openmtbmap – Serbia
- openmtbmap – Slovakia
- openmtbmap – Slovenia
- openmtbmap – Spain for Canary Islands – see Africa Map Downloads
- openmtbmap – Sweden
- openmtbmap – Switzerland
- openmtbmap – Turkey – (contourlines separate download)
- openmtbmap – Ukraine
German Bundeslaender map downloads:
- openmtbmap – baden-wuerttemberg
- openmtbmap – bayern
- openmtbmap – berlin
- openmtbmap – brandenburg
- openmtbmap – bremen
- openmtbmap – hamburg
- openmtbmap – hessen
- openmtbmap – mecklenburg-vorpommern
- openmtbmap – niedersachsen
- openmtbmap – nordrhein-westfalen
- openmtbmap – rheinland-pfalz
- openmtbmap – saarland
- openmtbmap – sachsen-anhalt
- openmtbmap – sachsen
- openmtbmap – schleswig-holstein
- openmtbmap – mtbthueringen
France – French DOM-TOM (premium maps):
- openmtbmap – Guadeloupe
- openmtbmap – Guyane
- openmtbmap – Martinique
- openmtbmap – Mayotte
- openmtbmap – Reunion
Contourlines Premium Downloads (v.2 october 2012)
Most countries, especially the popular ones, have the contourlines already integrated. However for several countries the contourlines are rather large (rule of thumb if contourlines have more data than the maps) and I integrate them, but you need to download them separately (once). The installer will ask for the contourlines file as soon as you activate the checkbox to integrate the contourlines in the installer. You do not need to extract the contourlines – this will be done by the installer (and is only needed once. On updates you don't need to redo it).
In general it is fine to only update the map, as I try to change the contourlines as seldom as possible.
- Malaysia Singapore Brunei
- Congo Democratic Republic
Change Layout and Contrast of the maps
On installation you can choose the layout of the maps. Traditional layout is for Qlandkarte GT, Mapsource and Basecamp and offers a good layout and design for big screens. On the GPS thin, classic and wide or easy or hiking offer high contrast for best orientation while riding your bike or hiking.
In order to change the layout – simply run openmtbmap_country_change_layout.exe (this is also linked in your Start –> Programs Folder for each map). This also enables you to quickly change the layout before sending maps to your GPS device, and then quickly change it back for better planning on your desktop.
You can adapt the .TYP-files, which are responsible for the layout – and therefore the map colours, to your liking by using http://www.maptk.dnsalias.com/. Do not use http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi because it is not fully compatible and may corrupt the .TYP-file.
Openmtbmap maps Premium Download in Mac OSx format (gmap)
I have decided to make available all openmtbmaps and velomaps also in gmap format for Mac OSX. Please get them from here: http://openmtbmap.org/download/macosx/
Please comment if you like theese maps or even better tell other people about them (forums, blog about it, twitter, etc…) In case maps break Mapsource or don't work – please write exactly which downloads don't work and the time of download as well as your OS and Mapsource version.. Please also look here http://openmtbmap.org/download/#problems-help-tutorials or in the FAQ